Decadent Chocolate Quinoa Cake / Cupcakes – Gluten Free
Looking for a dairy-free, gluten-free dessert? These decadent Chocolate Quinoa Cupcakes are delicious, moist and nutritious! This recipe can be used to make cupcakes or cakes, and once cooled pairs beautifully with Dairy-free Cashew Vanilla Icing.
Prep time: 25 minutes Cook time: 45 -60 minutes Total time: 45-60 minutes
- 2 cup cooked quinoa (white or golden), loosely packed
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 large eggs (or equivalent egg replacement “flax eggs”)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¾ butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- To make 2 cups of cooked quinoa, you will need 2/3 cups of uncooked quinoa and 1 1/3 cup water. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and leave covered for another 10 minutes until all the water absorbs into the quinoa. Fluff with a fork and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Depending on your preference – lightly grease two 8” round or square cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper. Alternatively, use parchment paper cupcake liners if you’re making cupcakes.
- Combine milk, eggs, and vanilla in a blender or food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
- Add 2 cups of cooked quinoa and butter into the blender and continue to blend until smooth. This will be a thick and creamy consistency once quinoa is pureed. You should not see any little beads of quinoa in the pureed mixture.
- Whisk together the sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the quinoa mixture into the bowl and stir to combine.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 2 pans or in your muffin tin.
- Bake on the center oven rack for:
- 40-45 minutes for cakes
- 22-25 minutes for regular cupcakes
- 15 -16 minutes for mini cupcakes
- Insert a knife or toothpick into the center to ensure it comes out clean. Remove the cake or cupcakes from the oven and cool completely before icing and/or serving.
This recipe can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.