Thai Vegetable Noodle Soup
If you feel like a home-made one-pot dish in 25 minutes – this Thai Vegetable Noodle Soup is for you – you just need to prep the spice blend in advance! This recipe is loaded with veggies & warm Thai spices to satisfy your belly on a cold winter night.
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions (green onions)
- 2 tablespoons Thai Spice Blend (recipe below)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup 1-inch pieces green beans
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 4 oz. dry brown rice noodles
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 1 cup 1-inch broccoli and/or cauliflower florets
- 1 baby bok choy, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup unsweetened, unflavoured plant milk
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 to 6 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- In a large saucepan combine scallions, Thai Spice Blend, and ¼ cup water. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add vegetable soup stock, green beans, and carrots. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Add noodles, snow peas, broccoli, and bok choy; simmer 5 to 7 minutes or until noodles are cooked. Add milk; cook 1 minute. Stir in lime juice and salt. Garnish with basil.
Thai Spice Blend for Seasoning and Cooking
This is a delicious spice blend to keep in your pantry in a sealed jar. It takes only 5 minutes and makes 1/2 a cup. Add this to a vegetable stir-fry with fresh cilantro on top; use to season steamed vegetables and rice; use it to add a Thai spin to vegetable noodle soup; or make a quick nut sauce by mixing with peanut or almond butter, tamari, vinegar, and water.
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons dried lemongrass or lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground white or black pepper
- In a blender or spice grinder add all ingredients and blend into a fine powder. Transfer to an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place up to 6 months.
If you loved this Thai Vegetable Noodle Soup recipe, be sure to try this Creamy Indian Vegetable Korma.