Vegan Creamy Italian Gnocchi Soup
This is an impressively creamy soup without any cream — or guilt! Rich, smooth, and delicious, this dairy-free, gluten-free Vegan Creamy Italian Gnocchi recipe is the perfect cozy soup for a cool autumn day!
One batch of this satisfying veggie-packed vegan soup makes about 4-5 servings. Feel free to double this recipe to make extra as this soup freezes well!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Soup Base Ingredients:
- ½ cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 ½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup unsweetened plain plant milk (almond, oat and cashew all work well)
- 1 tsp reduced-sodium tamari
- 1 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp ume plum vinegar *
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup *
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 Tbsp dried minced onions
- ¼ to 1 tsp sea salt (+/-) *
- 1/8 to ¼ tsp black pepper (+/-)
Other Soup Ingredients
- 12 to 16 oz. frozen vegetables (thawed)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 14 to 16 oz. gnocchi, cooked
Italian Herb Blend Ingredients
You can use fresh herbs if you have them
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried crushed thyme leaves *
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Prep your cashews: Put the cashews in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and let them soak for 10 minutes. After, strain and set aside. You will be adding them to the soup in Step 5.
- Fill a medium stock pot with water and bring to a boil. Add the gnocchi and cook according to package directions. Once they are done, strain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add all of the Italian Herb Blend Ingredients. Stir to combine.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined soup pot or similar stock pot, add the diced onions, sauté over medium-high heat until the onions begin to soften, approximately 7 to 9 minutes, stirring periodically to prevent burning. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning. *If not using a ceramic or enamel lined pot, you will need to use a Tbsp of olive oil to prevent the onions from sticking.
- Add the minced garlic, sauté for 30 seconds, then add all the remaining Other Soup Ingredients and soaked cashews. Stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce head to med-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once the 5 minutes is up, remove the pot from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Once cooled, put the soup mixture into a blender and blend on high until the soup is creamy and emulsified.
- Return the soup mixture to the stock pot and add the Italian herb mixture ingredients, stir well, and return the pot to stove.
- Simmer on low for 7 minutes, then add the thawed vegetables and cooked gnocchi. Simmer on low for another 7 minutes. Then, do a taste test and adjust by adding any additional spices/herbs as you see fit.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes so the flavours can marry. Add (optional) parsley to garnish and enjoy!
* Please adjust amount based upon your family’s preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
If you loved this Vegan Creamy Italian Gnocchi, be sure to try this Roasted Buddha Bowl With Cashew Nuts!
Resource: Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures