Vegan Zucchini Apple Bread, gluten-free
This vegan zucchini bread can easily be made into muffins that are moist, delicious and healthy! This is a gluten-free version, but you may also use regular flour if you wish. You can also freeze the second loaf for future use. This is a great breakfast loaf with butter and jam or can be served as a side with a hearty soup, chilli or slow cooker meal.
Prep Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 60 minutes Servings: 12
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup tightly packed grated zucchini
- 1 ¼ cup tightly packed grated peeled apple Gala or Granny Smith are good choices
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (See homemade recipe)
- 1 cup toasted pecans chopped
- 3/4 cup black raisins
- ½ cup packed brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease and flour two small (4×8 inch) loaf pans or line a muffin tin with parchment paper liners.
- Combine the flax with the water and let it sit for 5 minutes. Mix the flax along with the remaining wet ingredients together well in a medium bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl until combined.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, folding with a rubber spatula until it is completely incorporated together.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan or muffin tins and bake until the loaf or muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. The muffins will take approximately 25 minutes and the loaf approximately 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and invert the loaf or muffins onto a baking rack (removing the loaf pan if applicable), to finish cooling before serving
There are 3 options for the ingredient flour:
1. Regular Flour (original recipe)
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
2. Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ¼ cup brown rice flour
- 1 ¼ cup white rice flour
- 1 cup sweet rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- scant 2 tsp Xanthum gum
3. Bob’s Redmill gluten-free all-purpose flour
Look for another allergy-friendly snack? Check out our Allergy-Friendly Energy Balls.
Recipe Source: Adopted from Fraiche Nutrition