Buckwheat Almond Thumbprint Cookies
These buckwheat cookies were so delicious, we made them twice in one week! Buckwheat has a delicious nutty flavour and when combined with almonds, is a nutrient-dense treat. These are soft and chewy, and the organic strawberry jam makes the perfect addition.
- 1 cup Organic Light Buckwheat or Sprouted Buckwheat Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Organic Almond Flour (we substituted fresh ground almonds instead)
- 3/4 cup Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Flax meal (substituted Chia seeds)
- 4 tbsp Water
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp Coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Almond extract
- 2 tbsp Milk (if needed)
- Organic Jam of choice – we use strawberry
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the buckwheat flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together, the flax meal and water until thick. Add the coconut oil, vanilla extract, almond extract and mix well.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry mix and pour in the wet mixture. Mix everything together to form a smooth cookie dough, add milk if the mixture is a little dry.
- Scoop out 1 ½ tablespoon amounts of the cookie dough and roll into balls. Place the cookie balls on the baking sheets about an inch apart. Use your thumb to press an indent into the middle of each cookie and fill this with a little jam.
- Bake the cookies in the centre of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until slightly golden around the edges. Once cooked leave the cookies on the baking tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.
Source: Anita’s Organic Recipes
Looking for a nut-free treat that’s still packed with nutrients? Try out our Raw Cacao Hemp Seed Smoothie.