Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
These healthy pumpkin muffins are naturally gluten-free, sweetened with maple syrup, quick and easy to make, and so perfectly delicious for welcoming us into Autumn.
TOTAL TIME: 30 MINS PREP TIME: 15 MINS COOK TIME: 15 MINS
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats*
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice, homemade or store-bought
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, plain or vanilla
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons melted the coconut oil (or any mild-flavoured oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- optional: turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- optional: 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans for more of a crunchy texture
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with parchment or cupcake liners, or lightly grease with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Puree oats in a blender or food processor until they reach a flour-like consistency. Add in the pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and sea salt, and pulse until the mixture is evenly combined. Set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract until evenly combined. Fold the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredient mixture, and stir until the mixture is just combined. (Try to avoid over-mixing.)
- Portion the ingredients into prepared baking cups. Then sprinkle a pinch of turbinado sugar on top of each muffin, if you would like.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean. Remove from the oven and place the pan on a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm. Or let the muffins cool to room temperature, then store in a sealed container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
*Or feel free to substitute in 240 grams (8.4 ounces) oat flour. And as always, be sure to use certified gluten-free ingredients if making this pumpkin muffin recipe gluten-free.
Looking for more delicious gluten-free baking recipes? Check out our Vegan Zucchini Apple Bread.
PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
Learn how to make homemade pumpkin pie spice with this quick and easy recipe.
- 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl until combined. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 year.
Adapted from CookingLight.com