Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
A balanced and satisfying meal, this meat- and veggie-loaded shepherd’s pie with sweet potato topping is full of nutrition. This dish freezes well, so you can go ahead and double the recipe and freeze one for a future meal. Feel free to substitute regular potatoes for sweet potatoes.
Ingredients For Shepherd’s Pie Filling:
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, cleaned and stemmed, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary or dried herb of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
Ingredients For Sweet Potato Topping:
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 12 ounces each), peeled and cubed (~6
- cups cubed)
- 1 tablespoons butter (may substitute ghee or coconut oil for Whole30)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
*We recommend making this in a 10-inch cast iron skillet so that you can cook everything in the skillet, top it with the mashed sweet potatoes and bake it right in the cast iron.
- Preheat oven to 375℉. Bake the sweet potatoes until fork tender, 45 to 60 minutes (see our directions for perfect baked sweet potatoes). Alternatively, you can steam peeled and diced sweet potatoes until tender.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the ground beef, chopped carrots, green pepper, onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Continue cooking until the carrots are soft, about 12-15 minutes. Begin making the sweet potato topping while the filling cooks.
- To make the topping: Place the peeled and baked/steamed sweet potato with all of the topping ingredients in a food processor (or blender) and process until smooth. NOTE: If using white potatoes, we recommend mashing them by hand rather than blending to prevent them from getting pasty.
- Back to the filling: Once the carrots are soft, stir in tomato paste, chili powder, rosemary, salt, black pepper, and water.
- Final step: Top the meat filling with the sweet potato mash. If you’re not using an oven-safe 10-inch cast-iron skillet, transfer the meat filling to a casserole dish or 9~9 inch baking dish and top the meat filling with the sweet potato mash. Sprinkle the top with a little sea salt and chili powder.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
To reheat if frozen: Remove from freezer and place in fridge the day before you plan to serve it. Simply reheat in the oven set at 375℉ for about 20-30 minutes or until center is hot (~165℉). You can reheat from frozen, it will however take a little longer. If reheating from frozen, cover with foil for the first 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until center is hot (~165℉).
Source: The Real Food Dietitians https://therealfooddietitians.com/shepherds-pie/
Looking for an after-dinner treat? Be sure to try these gluten-free chocolate quinoa cupcakes – they’re decadent!